Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Here's Hoping #19 and 20

In a perfect world, people would invest in solar panels, pour money into alternative fuel technologies, drive electric vehicles, and refrain from polluting the air and water of our planet.  The government would strictly regulate the carbon output of big businesses and incentives would be given to those that decided to go green.  Students would be educated on the ways of the world which would include how to care for and maintain it.  In reality, I am well aware that we are not living in this kind of world and I do not see us reaching that point in the projected future.
While I would like to hope that we can stop arguing over petty differences and realize what is truly important, many of the reading have taught me that politics will always win out over what is right and the desires of the interest groups will take precedent over the greater good.  It is disheartening to think that our system is so corrupt and failing us at this great time of need.
I do not mean to be a pessimist but I can't see modern society pulling out of this downward spiral in order to maintain itself.  I live in fear that I will see the decline of civilization as we currently know it and our children will look back at us and ask why we did not do anything sooner.  It seems that scientists are losing their voices trying to warn us about the impending danger and consequences of our actions but we continue to ignore their pleas.  People have known about global warming for decades but cognitive dissonance and ignorance has allowed the general population to view climate change as an opinion as opposed to fact.
I foresee a future where manners are replaced with survival instincts and communities are traded in for something that resembles more of a tribe.  Granted, I do not believe that people will start wearing loin cloths and beat each other over the head with rocks but I can see people killing over what little resources remain.  Then, when the dust clears from all the fighting, I envision humans returning to a more simplistic way of life.  The big farms will cease to exist and all produce will be grown by individuals or small communities.  I weep for my children and even myself.  I am afraid of that future and I honestly hope more than anything that I’m wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment