Wednesday, December 14, 2011

That Panicky Feeling #7


As strange as it may be, the collapse of modern society frightens me more than the idea of a “zombie apocalypse” that everyone so loves to talk about.  Perhaps that is because society’s collapse is a potential reality and could occur in the foreseeable future.  This article paralleled the occurrences and circumstances in the United States with failed civilizations so poignantly that I found myself stressing by the time I reached the end.  It almost makes me feel like civilized life is some ridiculous social experiment doomed to fail.
However, I do understand the author’s point that a society writes its own fate.  In a certain sense, I feel like people refuse to learn from their own mistakes as well as the mistakes of others.  The example that pops into my head right now is Pompei.  The inhabitants are aware that there is an active volcano there.  They know that it has erupted and literally stopped people in their tracks and preserving them in lava rock. Yet, despite this knowledge, people still continue to inhabit the area. Granted that is an extreme example but how does that really differ from farms in the northern United States comparing to those in that failed in Greenland?
(Pictured above are ruins from a Norse farm in Greenland)

No comments:

Post a Comment