Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Whole Lot of Crazy #5

I really don't see how the hanging of twelve people is the same thing as misusing land. Although I do feel that the author was a little dramatic and used some rather vivid imagery, I do get his point.  While I highly doubt that anybody will stop referring to land as property, I do believe that we have to stop the over development.
In any developed nation, we use and abuse our land but expect no consequences.  Lakes and rivers are polluted with runoff, land is starved of nutrients, animals are disappearing at an alarming rate and yet we continue to expand.
I have no problem with people owning land, or even corporations owning land.  However, they need to know how to use their land and respect it.  While we still have a long way to go, FGCU is really doing something amazing.  This is the only campus where I have ever seen recycle bins as prevalent as trash cans.  I love that we are only allowed to develop on a certain percentage of the land and even that colloquium is a required class.  It exposes students to the hardships and concerns of the world and the ways that we can help prevent or improve them.
This article has made me look at my own life in a strange way.  It makes me wonder how keeping a light on when I walk out of the room or throwing away a plastic bottle instead of recycling affects the world. If every person mad a conscious effort just to care about the way we use land, maybe we could reverse some of the damage and prevent that of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment