Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What it Means to Me #17

The major thing that I took from this class was something that we actually read about in the beginning.  I was fascinated when it came to the excerpt about ADHD and how an environmental education can actually help.  In an age where students are used to constant stimulation and instant gratification, a classroom setting can become intolerable.  This article helped me to realize how I can use the world around me to modify the behavior of my students in a mutually beneficial way.
One thing that I now do because of this class is monitor my power usage.  My roommate has a habit of leaving her lights and television on when she leaves the house and I am constantly running in there to turn them off. I unplug my phone and computer chargers when I am not using them and make sure to turn the air conditioning off if nobody is home.  I always turned things off if I happened to notice them just to save on the electric bill but now it is a conscious decision that I make to better the environment and limit my carbon footprint.  Likewise, my roommate and I take her car whenever we go out together because her gas mileage is better than mine.  It saves us both on the cost of gas and makes me feel like I'm taking that little extra step. I cannot expect others to care about the planet we live on if I do not

No comments:

Post a Comment